Saturday, November 5, 2011

Role of Parents

The hardest part of being a parent is not the joy but the heartache. Noelle has not slept through the night for a long time. I would love sleeping throughout the night. With her foot she is up more because her other leg is hurting. It is hard when she doesn’t feel good because it hurts not only her but myself also. When Tyler and Katie got their midterm grades and got straight A’s I couldn’t have been more proud. It is hard to get straight A’s, it isn’t an easy feat but both Tyler and Katie did it.

What is the biggest role of a parent? This has been debated for a long time. I think the most important role is to teach children the different between right and wrong. Yes, having a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and the basic necessities are very important. They are in fact necessities. Once their basic needs are taken care of, we as parents need to teach our children to become better people. This might look different to different parents. That is okay because we have to do what is best for our little family.

As a teacher I know that parents are the most important influence on their children at a young age. If parents teach respect at home, respect is shared in class, on the playground, and any other activities the child is involved in. If parents don’t teach respect then children will not see the importance of respect. I have a family that I have grown to love at school. I have seen these boys turn into wonderful young men. Every morning when I see these boys they are so respectful and ask if they can help me. This is because of how importance respect is at home. I know that as these boys get older they will show the same respect to young women they date and eventually marry. Why, because their father has taught them to respect women.

So what are you teaching your children? I hope I have taught and will continue to teach the difference between right and wrong. I have tried to show them the importance of respect and why we should respect those around us. I am not a perfect parent but I know that it is my duty to do what is right for my own family but teaching your children to do what is right. They will hopefully become great citizens and community members.

No comments: