Monday, February 27, 2012

Gitten Out of Dodge

This last week I had to opportunity to git out of Dodge. (Yes I know I spelled the get as git) I am using gitten because I was in a car from Texas and in Texas gitten and git are correct grammar. I was able to go to San Diego for a reading conference. It was an amazing conference and I heard from wonderful speakers but that is not what I am going to write about. I want to focus on the country mouse and city mouse.

Susie Fox, Ashley Miller, Sandy Breece, and I arrived in San Diego at about 7:00 Arizona time 6:00 California time and we were a little late for dinner. We checked in really quick at the Hilton and we were able to have our own room. This was exciting for me because I have not had my own bed for the longest time. (Noelle has been sleeping in my bed for a while again.) How was I going to sleep if I did not have someone kick me all night? That thought would have to wait because I had to get ready for dinner.

We then went down to the restaurant for dinner. We were welcomed warmly and I felt like I was already home with new friends. I sat at the foot of the table mainly so I could have a great view of all my new friends. Joye Sanchez was so nice and she sat opposite from me at the table, Valerie Ritchey was our host, Delia McCraley, Rosa Tubbs, Cynthia Piper, and Sandra McCartney were now my new friends. As the waiter handed me my menu I almost cried. I did not know what half of the items on the menu were and the cost of the food was way over my budgeted amount of ten dollars. I had to ask what risotto was. I had never heard of it, but that was not the worst of it. There were too many spoons, forks, and knives. I had to try to remember what fork went with what course. I also forgot that a soup spoon comes with soup. In my kitchen you would use the regular spoon for soup. On special days if you wanted a bigger spoon you could use the serving spoon.

I did learn a few things at my fancy dinner. First, you should never say, “This is a lot different from the McDonald’s dollar menu.” You might hear laughter or gasps. Second, if you act like you know what is going on you might be able to fool a few people. Third, dinner is always fun with friends and family. Lastly, conversation is a great thing to share at dinner. The conversation was not the same as my dinner table with the kids but, it was super and I even was able to use some grown-up words.

I am grateful for the opportunity to git out of town mainly because it made me miss my kids so much I was happier to be home with them. I decided I am not cut out for the city life, this country mouse is happy with her little life here. I will always remember my trip to the big city of one of laughter and learning new things. I want my new friends to know that I had a wonderful time spending those few hours with them. They might remember it as the night they met a really nice lady that had no idea what the real world was like but for me it was one of the most memorable nights of my life.

No comments: