Saturday, July 4, 2015

Why I Love America


     I have always loved America.  Growing up I don’t remember an event my Grandma and Grandpa Philpot missed.  This is not to underplay my parents, but Grandma and Grandpa were always there.  Fourth of July were spent at my Grandparent’s Hunter or Grantsville house.  Aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and family Grandma and Grandpa’s house would be filled with love of family and country.

                We would start off the Fourth of July at our local parade.  We would sit on the grass at the edge of the curb.  We would be reminded to stand whenever an American Flag came by.   Grandma would let us go the park after the parade and then the BBQ would start.  We would then start with making the homemade ice cream.  Grandma had a hand crank machine and then she upgraded to an electric one.  We would then play with sparklers and then watch fireworks. 

                During the day we would talk as a family.  America was always the subject.  I thought growing up my Grandma and Grandpa were history professors they seemed to know everything.  Grandpa would talk about the Founding Fathers and why they mattered.  He talked about how God preserved this land for us and how it is the greatest country of all.  Grandpa talked about how with hard work and perseverance anyone could succeed in America. 

                Grandma would talk about her family and how they had crossed the Atlantic Ocean and then crossed the plains to come to Utah live their religion.     She loved her pioneer heritage, she was proud that her family wanted to live in this nation. 

                Today as I went to our annual pancake breakfast the Star Spangled Banner was played, I watched as men who fought in WWII stood trying to balance themselves to stand for this song.  Women who cried as they listened to the words and children stopped playing so they could put their hands over their heart.  I thought of the countless times my Grandpa and Grandma told me to stand as the American Flag came by.  How America was truly the country of God.   How if you work hard and persevere you could succeed here. 

                I know that the last sentence is not how many Americans feel anymore.  Too many feel like what JFK said is not true, too many people what the government to do all and they should do nothing.  This is not going to work.  We need to do for our country and feel proud to be Americans.  I am so glad I could live in the greatest country on Earth.  Thank you to Grandparents that loved God, country, and family.  I hope that I have raised my children to keep up the Philpot traditions.    

 

No comments: