Friday, July 24, 2015

Blessed Honored Pioneer



 

                Today for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a big day.  Today is Pioneer Day, this is the day that Brigham Young said, “This is the place.”  This statement meant that the Mormons that had been driven out of New York, Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois would finally have a place where they would be on their own.  There would be no neighbors that could or would cause them home.  Yes, there were Native Americans, but that was it and Brigham had made it very clear that the Saints were to be kind to them.

                My whole life have heard this story, going to parades, watching fireworks, and listening to people talk about their heritage.  My mother’s side of the family knew the Prophet Joseph and were some of the first members of the church.  They heard the Joseph’s story and knew it was true.  They never once thought he wasn’t telling the truth.  If you talk to church historians they will say that the Knight family was faithful to not only Joseph but to the church.  My dad’s side came from Scotland, after hearing the missionaries came by boat and headed out west.  I cannot imagine the faith it must have taken. 

 Two days ago I found that my 12th great grandfather Thomas Rodgers came across on the Mayflower.  This had me astounded.  Even before this country was the USA, I had ancestors that knew it was a blessed country.  Again, this is my heritage.

My whole life I have felt like and said, “I am just plain Flo.”  I do not mean that in a bad way, only to say I am never going to be a famous person.  I am just a regular person.  However, when my faith has tested and I have gone to our Father in Heaven, I have looked to my pioneer heritage and their test.  I have often thought that if they could leave what they loved and come to an unknown place I certainly could deal with my own trials. 

                 I am blessed to have a strong legacy of faith and I know that more than anyone.  This does not mean I haven’t had to gain my own testimony.  I am blessed that I have gained my own testimony through trials.  More than anything I am grateful for those who worked hard and had their trials so that their posterity could look back at their example. 

                You might not think what you do now will help your posterity, but I am a witness that you will.  Your trials might make it easier for others to cope with theirs.  On this day more than others I am say, “Blessed, honored Pioneer.”

                               

No comments: