Thursday, September 10, 2015

Red, White, and Blue

           As teachers there are those areas, we love.   Everyone at my school knows that America is what I love most.  Students will say, “She loves it more than her own kids.”  This is not quite true but close.  I love my country and I do teach love of country in my class.  Students that have passed through my doors know that standing and saying The Pledge of Allegiance is the most important thing we do all day.  If you ask of my students past or present what my favorite color is they will say, “red, white, and blue.” 
                Tomorrow we are wearing red, white, and blue in honor of those that lost their lives in the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001.   The reason I think it is important to wear the colors is so that conversations will be had.  We have a generation of students that might not know what happened that fateful day.  They might never have had a conversation with their parents, or even noticed why grownups take time out of their day to shed a tear. 
                Tomorrow as you get up please take time to stop and think about our fellow citizens that willingly gave up their lives.  Yes, I know those on the earlier flights did not know what was happening, but the later two they did.  Think of the emergency workers like firefighters, paramedics, and police officers.  What about those regular citizens that just helped others leave buildings or get out of harm’s way.   The lines that were we stood in to gladly give blood and the churches that were full so that prayers could be heard. 
                Think about how you felt that you were an American.   Were you proud of how our country came together?   Can you remember what it was like to see the Congress and Senate stand together on the steps of the Capital Building?  How about that night hugging your children tighter, calling your family, and checking on your neighbor?
                Tomorrow when I put on my red, white, and blue there will be a tear in my eyes.  I will sob during The Pledge of Allegiance.  However, I will take time to have a conversation not only with students at school but with my kids, my neighbors, and everyone I see. 

                Tonight like all other nights I will pray for my country.  God bless America!  

No comments: