Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Art of Editing

This week I was at a book club meeting. We were discussing the book we would be reading and our favorite books from the past. I piped up and mentioned my love The Help. One of the reasons why I love this book is the editing that the characters took in their personal lives. One of the main characters Hilly said what she wanted to say all the time. She did not care who she offended or even if it was politically incorrect. Skeeter another main character was careful of what to say around her white friends so she would not cause distress for the maids in her own book. (On a post script of this paragraph the grammar check just came on and said maids should be changed to house cleaners)

Homer J. Simpson is one of my favorite characters on TV. He does not have an editing process in which to speak of; in fact, he uses the phrase, "D'oh" all too often. Why, he says stuff he should only think not say. I love his power not to edit and that is what makes him so funny.

Sometimes, I do not use my power of editing very well. Other times I am a master of this powerful tool. One of my friends this week was giving me a hard time about having two journals. I laughed because it is my power of editing that causes me to keep up two journals. Blogs could be considered a modern day journal. The blessings and trouble with blogs are they on the World Wide Web. My children, sisters, brother, parents, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and cousins can read my thoughts. I love this part of blogging; it is a way for us to communicate. The trouble is you must use the gift of editing.

In my white journal, I can pour out all of my thoughts good and bad. However, I want my children more than any other people to know there is more good than bad do. When I was younger, I had an opportunity to use my editing power. There was a time where things were not going well, this happens when we are in high school. I had an adult hurt my feelings. This adult was going through their own personal hell and did not mean to hurt my feelings. Another adult gave me some advice to write the first adult a letter. When I finished the letter, the second adult gave it back to me and said, "Rewrite it, you will regret some of these things later in life." I did and then gave it to her again; she said the same thing, "Rewrite it." After the third of fourth time, the letter was complete.

Why is the power of editing so important? To the writer it is a way for them to fix their mistakes. Most importantly, it to our Savior the editing process is the Atonement. He can help us rewrite our story by using the power of forgiveness of our faults, sins, and shortcomings. Tonight I listened to a speaker tonight say, "Hope is a vision of what we can become." I am grateful to a loving Savior that is going to help me correct all of the mistakes in my book of life. What a blessing this is, because I want my book to be filled with eraser marks and not the dreaded red pen.

1 comment:

The Muries said...

Sadly there are so many times where I should use the edit and don't. What a skill. Hope you have a good day!